For those wishing to obtain a student visa
Obtaining a student visa takes approximately 6 months.
If you wish to apply for a student visa, you will need to submit the
necessary documents to the immigration office through our school.
It takes time to prepare the application documents and for the immigration authorities to review them.
If you wish to obtain a student visa, please contact our school as soon as possible regarding the necessary documents and procedures.
|Time of Matriculation||Application Periods|
|4||August 8st - October 1st of the previous year|
|July (Nagoya / Kobe only)||1/10 to 3/15|
|10||3/21 to 5/31|
|January (Kobe school only)||7/1 to 9/15|
- If the maximum number of applicants is reached, applications may be refused even when made during the application period. We recommend you apply as early as possible.
- The application period varies slightly depending on the school. For details, please check each school's application guidelines.→ Download materials
- Those who have completed (or are expected to have completed) 12 years of education.
- Those who have completed a secondary education course that qualifies them to be admitted to a university.
- Those who are recognized to have achieved the equivalent of 1 and 2 by our school.
About the student visa
Normally, foreign nationals need to obtain a "student visa" in order to study at a Japanese language school for more than a year.
The primary purpose for entering Japan on a student visa is to receive an education.
Therefore, while it is possible to work part-time by obtaining permission to engage in activities other than those permitted by your visa status, working is limited to 28 hours a week.
In addition, students are prohibited from working during their first three months in the country by ECC so as to allow them to focus on their studies.
- 5 photos
- A copy of your passport
- Application form
- Letter stating your reasons for studying in Japan
- Graduation certificate and academic transcript from the last school attended
- Japanese language certificate
- Statement of the intent to support the applicant financially
- Certificate of bank balance
- Documents showing the relationship between the applicant and the financial supporter
- Documents showing the family structure
* The documents required to apply for a student visa vary depending on the school. For further details, please check each school's application guidelines.
For Japanese residents/ short-term visitors
The enrollment procedures for those who do not need to obtain a student visa are simple.
- For those who live in Japan
- For those who live overseas.
- For residents of countries/regions that are exempted from temporary visitor visas requirements.
- For those who are not from countries/regions that are exempt from temporary visitor visa requirements.
- Students must be 18 years old or older* Please contact us if you are under 18 years old.
- Those who have a visa that permits them to stay in Japan during their studies
April / July / October / January
- Applications close when classes have reached their maximum capacity, so we encourage students to apply as quickly as possible.
- Students studying Japanese for the first time are encouraged to enroll during the enrollment periods above.
- It may be possible to join the course after it commences, depending on whether or not there is space available in a class at the appropriate level.
- Please check each school's application guidelines for details about course commencements.Download documents
- Applicants residing in foreign countries should apply at least one month before the admission date.
For those who live in Japan
Those who already hold a visa such as a family stay visa, spousal visa, working holiday visa, a working visa, etc.
Copy of application form and residence card (front and back)
For those who live overseas.
Those who are planning to enter Japan on a temporary visitor visa or working holiday visa.
What is a temporary visitor visa?
A temporary visitor visa is a visa that allows you to stay in Japan for up to 90 days for the purposes of sightseeing or visiting acquaintances and relatives in Japan.
Temporary visitor visas are divided into visa-exempt countries/regions, where it is possible to come to Japan with only your passport, and visa-required countries/regions, where you need to obtain a visa before coming to Japan.
Please check the website to the right to determine if you are from a visa-exempt country/region. → Ministry of Foreign Affairs | Visa Waiver Countries / Regions (Short-term stay) [Japanese]
If you are from a visa-required country/region, you will need documents such as a letter of invitation from our school in order to apply for a temporary visitor visa.
For further details, please check the website to the right, or check with a Japanese embassy in your country.→ Ministry of Foreign Affairs | Visa application method (short-term stay) [Japanese]
Application form, a copy of passport, a copy of residence card (front and back) (*Only required for those who will have a residence card after entering Japan)